Monday, September 7, 2009

Web 2.0 is Grand!

I'm always on the lookout for good music sites, and I came across this really excellent thing called "Huevos," at pettingmytapeworm.blogspot.com, written by a really smart and funny 17-year-old from Louisville KY. Bouncing around her various inter-linked sites, I was really impressed, and left her a couple of notes to tell her so. So she wrote back, something like, "Who the fuck are you? Fuck you. Get the fuck out of here."

So on the one hand you have this person who is obviously pretty vain about her work, publishing it all over every conceivable Web 2.0 venue, declaring that she "lives and bleeds" for her blog, and then gets pissed off when someone -- I don't know, I guess someone not in her personal clique at school -- signs up as a fan.

Maybe it's just the creepy old guy thing. But isn't the point of publishing -- especially artistic, nearly professional-quality material everywhere you can think to post it -- to attract readers?  Is it all about Gen-Zero?

I'm taking a class at UNM on "The Problem of Evil in World Religions," and I scoff whenever I read one of those God Damned Catholic theologians who says, "It's all just beyond the scope of human understanding. It's a Mystery." Unraveling the most difficult philosophical problems in the history of the world is easy. To fathom teenagers and the web is a wholly different scale of problem altogether.

No comments: